Sunday, June 3, 2012

Real Food Dinners

This week I have cooked a couple real food meals. Both of these meals came from "100 Days of Real Food." I started by printing Lisa Leake's menu plans and buying items from the grocery store that I would need. However, once I tried homemade granola, which was excellent, I quickly learned that it spikes my sugar. I think it may be the combination of honey and large amount of rolled oats. Both items have a low GI, but I am very sensitive to foods as my doctor likes to tell me. I won't be making the granola again although it was VERY tasty. I am learning which real foods I can and can not eat. This is definitely going to be a real journey!

The FIRST dinner I made was the "Pork Carnitas." They were very good! My husband even enjoyed them. I found them to be a little more greasy than I was used to in my short months of diet change, but I know that some fats are okay because our body needs fat in order for our brain to work. We just have to have it in moderation. And, the key to any good diet is moderation anyway. I am learning that when we eat real food we are able to eat less as well, so the whole moderation thing really lives up to its name when eating this way!

The SECOND dinner I made was the "Pork Quessidilla" in Menu 4: Summer meal plan. Basically you use leftover pork from the previous night's meal and use Monterrey cheese in the corn tortillas. My husband LOVED them and thought he would need more than 2, but he DID NOT! Real food is more filling!
 These were very tasty with sour cream and salsa on the top. I will admit that the salsa was some that I had on hand already. It is not considered a real food because it is processed, but like I said....taking it slow!


No comments:

Post a Comment